Sunday, August 14, 2011

.learning new things.

So besides doing art things and being crafty I have been trying to learn a new craft every month. This summer I have partaken in the Great Basin Basket CSA. The summary of the CSA basket is, "Great Basin Basket is a partnership of Nevada farmers whose mission is to provide families with high-quality, seasonal produce grown on local, sustainable farms." Totally rad right! Not to mention the basket we get we split with another couple because it really is that much food. So every week we go pick up a HUGE basket of food and split it up. This is such a inexpensive easy way to grocery shop for all your produce needs. They also include a recipe list to help with eating some of the not so popular items.

Now I get to eat and cook foods I would have otherwise not thought of. Yellow Watermelon for instance.. ya that's what I said. Best dam thing you have ever tasted though!

Learning to eat what is in season and not necessarily what I feel like has been interesting. We some times end up with a lot of one sort of produce or anther. For example Pickling cucumbers. Every week me and Tim end up with more than we can eat. What am I to do! Well, thanks to Kristen (a friend and co-worker) she taught me and our friend Bethany how to make pickles out of those cute little guys! You can check her blog out at Marinade where her crafty skills go above and beyond.

I have been thinking about trying to make my own pickles since last year; until I failed at growing them on my balcony container garden. How hard could it be? I thought to myself? Canned foods are every where. Well, good thing I did not try this on my own and because it is a lot harder than I thought. Maybe not harder, just time intensive and supply intensive. I would have most likely failed at my attempt in my little apartment. Luckily, Kristen was so great she showed us how the pros do it. She even had all the supplies! Talk about a cool friend. Hopefully, later this year we are going to dig a little deeper into canning food. I'm making a list of goodies to try and can. So the crafty skill I learned this month is canning; in particular canning me some pickles!

2 comments:

  1. Yay!! I had so much fun making these with you gals last night. Looking forward to many more kitchen adventures with you since canning is way more fun with friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Sharon, I'm so impressed...I've never canned a thing in my whole life!

    ReplyDelete