Wednesday, January 29, 2014

.the limits we set.


 Some days you look at a piece of paper and there really is no way to tell what is going to happen. I guess sometimes, upon request, I will know what I am going to draw before the paper and I have a conversation.
However, most the time I don't know what I am going to draw and I just stare at the paper and it stares back at me. Typically, you start thinking of art you've seen somewhere else or your own art and you get this feeling it must live up to the expectation the first time around. You get your best pens and markers out, get the fancy paper that you've been saving for a special occasion and now its been years... geez... just draw something who cares no one knows. Well, you know and that's good enough to not draw anything. Maybe you'll take the dogs out or drink a beer or two come back around sit back down and nothing has really changed. Just a blank page and the both of you just staring at each other. Ok, ok, I'll just start with a shape, that's how it always starts. Just shapes that keep making more shapes... there is still a struggle, it just doesn't seem right. I'm still forcing something on the paper and that's not fair to either of us.  Alright, time for a new piece of paper, maybe it's the paper or the pens, new pens too then.
 
second go around
I'm tired of shapes, lets draw a character that's easy I can make those no problem. Besides this is a good way to test out this new marker.  Not so bad, that was easier than the first go around. Still nothing I haven't seen before and I'm still forcing something I need to relax and just let it be what ever it wants to be.

How hard is that?

Besides, a forced image will never stand on it's own. Every time we have this struggle. The easy part is drawing, the hard part is letting the image be what it wants not what I want it to be.

Alright, new piece of paper, lets try this again...












Lets start with eyes, once the eyes are done we can decide where to go next. Have loose relaxed hands and relax its all part of the process right. Make crappy art then you make good art. I can do that.


Finally, this is much better... Not forcing just letting what ever is on the other side be what it wants.

Just need to do some finishing details and boarder image and it's done. Awesome...















It's these limitations and expectations I put on myself to be the best or the "be as good as whomever else". Instead I should just worry about the paper and myself just trying to get a rhythm so it isn't so painful each time we sit down together.



If it all fails I still have gardening... I'm definitely good at that...


African violet. These are much prettier at night.






1 comment:

  1. Amazing art, my dear...each piece is so very different. You have a wide array of talents! Love them all! The violets are beautiful. Your Nana would be so proud - she always had them growing in her house!

    ReplyDelete