Friday, June 27, 2014

.and stuff.

Crazy how time flies. It's been a busy last couple months! Burning the candle at both ends leaves little time for play. Here we are at the end of June and there's still so much to do. 

Film photography is awesome. Digital is awesome too but really knowing how old things work and appreciating their value is neat. 

I'll share some of these photos with you:



 
These pictures were taken with the Mamiya RB67 Film Camera. Work horse of the film days this thing is a beast of a camera. Talk about a kink in the neck from looking down the top of the viewfinder and it's heavy. 


Maybe the question is why would someone want to take photos with old cameras? Well, I dunno... But what I do know is that sometimes these cameras do weird things that accidentally make art. Realistically, though in the beginning lots of photos don't come out. Which is disappointing at first. Then learning about film development and the dark room is also really neat. Sort of a dying art when compared to digital cameras. I guess that is where the art is. Mastering the camera then mastering the darkroom. 

I can compare film photography to another process which is knitting. Why would someone want to knit a sweater or a scarf when you can buy one that looks like the knitted one for a fraction of the cost? Again, I'm not really sure about why. Personally, I knit because I like the therapeutic process of doing something repetitive and the satisfaction of being able to use something I personally made. 

The same can be said about film photography, it really is about the process of taking pictures whether they are staged or stumbled upon. Being patient with the camera and yourself. Then the process and reward of developing your pictures (hopefully they turned out) and seeing something you brought to life with a lot of hard work.

There can be disappointments though, even in knitting making a accessory that just looks terrible and you know you will never wear it. That's a bummer, but so is taking pictures with a film camera and finding a mistake along the way that ruins your film. Ya that's a bummer too. Both instances are disappointing and feel like a waste of time. But some of us keep going even if we are disappointed or discouraged. 

I can see how overcoming small disappointments can translate to skills that will help overcome larger disappointments in life. Its ok to be discouraged, sometimes things are discouraging. Its not forever and over time you do get better at things like film photography or knitting. 

That's why I take pictures with old cameras I guess. It's hard and it makes me a better person because of it. 

Until next time!

Sharon 


1 comment:

  1. You know I always love your work. It seems like an extention of me somehow.

    ReplyDelete